Sunday, September 23, 2007

Outside-inside-outside Goshawk

11 January 2007 10:10am. RVP
Doubles! 2 female Goshawks hunting together. Both birds split and appeared to take toward the trees or ground level. 1 bird went near my zenith. The birds were S and F. 1 bird was mature. EOB 100 feet. OT 1-2 minutes. I was outside of my trailer, my wife was inside on the couch knitting, she was facing the door. I looked into the trailer to speak to her; the window shades were pulled up. Over her head and shoulders, there appeared to be a Goshawk circling. I stepped back 5 steps and opened my truck door for my Bins. Then I walked 30 yards to a more open area - to observe the Goshawks. That is why I call this sighting "the outside-inside-outside Goshawk". But, the gist of this little tale is: one doesn't need field marks, or coloring to identify raptors- especially Goshawks!

No comments: